Welcome to The Karl Barth Society of Amherst, Massachusetts - a local chapter of the The Karl Barth Society of North America. This site is maintained by Chris TerryNelson. Please let me know how I can make this page a better resource for you. Email me, view my profile. You can also visit my new personal website, Disruptive Grace.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Barth and Theological Aesthetics

Over at Faith and Theology, Ben Myers posted the following quote which I absolutely loved:

"It is a feeble view of art that isolates it as a sphere of its own for those who find it amusing. The word and command of God demand art, since it is art that sets us under the word of the new heaven and the new earth. Those who, in principle or out of indolence, want to evade the anticipatory creativity of aesthetics are certainly not good. Finally, in the proper sense, to be unaesthetic is to be immoral and disobedient.”

—Karl Barth, Ethics [lectures from 1928-29], ed. Dietrich Braun (New York: Seabury Press, 1981), p. 510.

1 Comments:

Blogger mpalardy said...

I doubt that I could have said it better myself. The Scriptural end of man is the new heaven and the new earth, and art is a foretaste of that. A church without an aesthetic consciousness, therefore, truly is disobedient to her mandate to image the kingdom of God.

Bravo, Chris for finding this.

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home